Monday, November 1, 2010

A Surprising Visitor

Fall overlooking the pond, Lions Park, College Place WA                                                  © Diane B. Reed

It's hard to believe that November has crept up on us, it still seems like Fall hasn't fully arrived. Although we haven't had a hard freeze, the colors are spectacular.  I'm particularly fond of our Sourwood tree which has turned a brilliant red. It's a variety of tree that I hadn't been familiar with, but apparently it's quite hardy and drought resistant.

I've found that writing by my window on the pond isn't conducive to getting my work done, so I have to retreat to my office which faces the street and fewer distractions. But when I glanced out the window this afternoon I was surprised to see a small snake sunning itself on my front walk.  I went out to identify it and encourage it to move so it wouldn't be bothered by anyone coming up the walk. It was a young Western Terrestrial Garter Snake soaking up the few rays of sunshine that had warmed the sidewalk. Despite its small size (about a foot long) it went into defensive mode as soon as I approached, coiling and striking out at me as though it was a rattler. Finally it slithered off under a bush and out of harm's way.

Western Terrestrial Garter Snake                    © Diane B. Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment