Monday, February 27, 2012

Walla Walla's Architecture

American Theater 1917, now part of Macy's                       © Diane B. Reed 

Walla Walla is a city full of architectural treasures. Downtown is full of gems from Main Street to the neighborhoods adjoining the commercial district.  One of my favorite downtown buildings is the American Theater (later the Liberty) built in 1917. Although it is no longer a theater, the Tudor Revival facade is still intact. It's just one of a number of buildings and sites on the National Register of Historic Places in Walla Walla and the county.

Home on historic Palouse Street in Walla Walla © Diane B. Reed

 One of my favorite streets in Walla Walla is Palouse Street, which features a wide array of impressive mansions, many of which were built with wheat and lumber fortunes. More modest but equally impressive houses are clustered around historic Pioneer Park.

Pioneer Park, which opened in 1908, was designed by John Langdon, who was inspired by John Olmsted, who visited Walla Walla in 1906.  The centerpiece of the park is the bandstand, built in 1909 and circled by magnificent trees.

Pioneer Park                                          © Diane B. Reed
Whether it's downtown, in the neighborhoods, in the surrounding countryside or at historic Fort Walla Walla, it's worth exploring the area. You can also pick up a walking tour brochures at the visitors' kiosk at 33 E. Main. Follow the tours or follow your nose, you'll be sure to find lots to enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Diane, your first sentence is incomplete--a couple of blanks to be filled in there! Otherwise, I was tickled to see the photo of the building Macy's is in, as I actually recognized it, from having to walk to Macy's from the farmer's mkt in 2010 to buy the granddaughters some hooded sweatshirts, because it was colder in WW that day than their parents had anticipated. As H & I and RW waited outside Macy's on a bench, I thought how the store reminded me of the old Bon Ton in Carlisle--probably before your time. (It was turned into county offices, as I recall.) It's so unusual now to find an old-fashioned dept. store on Main St.! I wish now I had gone in with Catherine to buy the sweatshirts, but I was tired from the walk. But glad to know it's still there!

    And "Liberty"--that rings a bell for me & you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the catch, I guess the computer gremlins nabbed the content. I was hurrying to get a post in before my knee replacement last Tuesday. It went very well, and I'm recuperating at home.

    ReplyDelete