Thursday, June 9, 2011

Cats I have known and loved

Luna Negra basks in the kitchen window   © Diane B. Reed

Over the years I've had some remarkable cats. I've written about our current cat, Luna Negra, before (see my blog from February 24, "A Day in the Life of the Cat"). She is beautiful, smart, and fully engaged in life. She is the latest cat in a long line of cats who we've adopted, or rather who have adopted us.

Miss Puff                                                   © Diane B. Reed
We had dogs when I was growing up. I wasn't exposed to cats until I moved to a rural area in Massachusetts. A friend gave me a black kitten with white paws, which I named Socks. That pretty much hooked me on cats. My next cat was Spike, an intellectually challenged orange cat with a wacky look, half a tail and an abundance of affection. He was joined by Miss Puff, a fluffy calico. She had a sweet disposition which belied her alter ego as a world-class mouser. After a run-in with a rabbit resulting in a fat lip (rabbits can kick hard), she set out for revenge. This went on for quite a while. One morning she showed up at the door with a good-sized rabbit as a "present." Mission accomplished!
Spike                © Diane B. Reed

C.C. wants attention                     © Diane B. Reed
After Spike went to kitty heaven, Puff was joined by C.C. (for Country Cat) who was found along a country road in the Berkshires in Massachusetts. Unlike Puff, C.C. had no interest in hunting anything. She liked to hang out with us and get lots of loving. When she didn't get what she wanted, she could be very vocal. She had such a luxuriant gray coat, and had a habit of striking a pose like a cat from ancient Egypt.

When I opened a used bookstore in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in the 80s I decided that the store needed a bookstore cat, so we adopted Eleanor Roosevelt from the local SPCA. She was a suitably mellow tabby and took her job seriously, greeting everyone who came to the store. She also liked to hang out in the window and lure people in by rubbing up against the window.
Eleanor in the bookstore window © Diane B. Reed
Eleanor appeared in the local newspaper several times, and attracted a loyal following. When we closed the bookstore she "retired" to the house and joined Puff and C.C. until they passed on. On Eleanor's 20th birthday we had a party which was written up in the local newspaper and was attended by many of her old friends from the bookstore. When she passed away at age 21, the newspaper ran an obituary for her, complete with photograph. It was the only obituary for an animal that I ever saw in the local paper.

After Eleanor passed on we waited quite a while to get another cat. Then one day I saw a picture of a cat on the Web site of the local SPCA and I somehow knew this was our new cat. We went to see her and she came home with us. We named her Luna Negra because she has black moons on each flank. (We're also fans of musician Ottmar Liebert and his group Luna Negra, an additional reason).

Luna Negra                                                 © Diane B. Reed
A few short years later we moved across the country. Luna and I made the 2700-mile trip in three days. She slept most of the way, with nary a complaint and took up residence in the West with her family continuing to cater to her every whim. In return she provides unlimited entertainment and lots of love.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, the cats of my life too! I miss them. Don't you have a picture of Spike you could dig up? I feel like there's one of him on that striped couch we had...

    ReplyDelete