Friday, February 18, 2011

Spring, Books, and Backyard Birds

The vineyards still await the spring                               © Diane B. Reed


This time of year is full of surprises. One day the promise of spring seems poised to envelop the valley. Today we awoke to large fluffy snowflakes, a reminder that the promise has not yet been fulfilled. The snow has stopped and has all but disappeared except on the slopes of the Blues. My advice is to forget the groundhog and the other prognosticators, spring will come when it comes. 

© Diane B. Reed
I guess I'm more patient than some folks. Once spring comes, the garden will demand my attention and the stack of books I've put aside for winter reading will gather dust until the fall. I've made my way through quite a few more than usual, thanks to recuperating from back surgery.

If you live anywhere near the Walla Walla area, don't forget that the AAUW book sale starts today and runs through Sunday at the Whitman Hotel. I helped with some of the book sorting before my back sidelined me, and the quality of the books is outstanding. Don't miss it!

No matter where you live, if you're looking for something fun to do at home this weekend, you might consider participating in the Great Backyard Bird Count, It takes about 15 minutes of observation, then you can submit your checklist to their Web site. You can do it any day between today, February 18 and Monday the 21st. You can also do it on more than one day. This is a great activity to do with kids, with everything you need right in your own backyard.

House Finch                                          © Diane B. Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment