Thursday, December 30, 2010

An Antidote for Cabin Fever

Great Blue Heron and the Blue Mountains © Diane B. Reed

After a spate of overcast days and bouts of snow and ice, the year is ending with brilliant sunshine and bitter cold. Time to get out of the house and head for the hills (and dales). A short drive from our pond takes you to out in the countryside and into the foothills of the Blue Mountains, dotted with farms and vineyards. Although the blanket of snow might lead one to believe that nature is sleeping, as soon as I arrive at the edge of town I see a lone Great Blue Heron searching for a meal in a field of stubble.

The closer I get to the Blues the more raptors I see. Red-tailed hawks dot the telephone pole crosspieces at regular intervals that seem to mark their hunting territory. The barren fields provide few hiding places for their prey and little escapes their notice. They alternate between perching on the poles and soaring over the fields looking for any sign of movement.

Red-tailed hawk searches for prey                © Diane B. Reed



Kestrel                                                                  © Diane B. Reed

 Kestrels perch delicately on the lines between the telephone poles, ignoring their larger relatives.  They swoop down after voles and mice that make the mistake of venturing out. As I watch, one drops swiftly to the ground and takes off with a fat vole. He flies up to the crosspiece on a vacant telephone pole and settles down for his meal.







Tiger cat on the prowl                   © Diane B. Reed
Hugging the foothills, I make my way up to Bennington Lake, one of my regular destinations, to see if there are any Eagles or birds of note. But today the lake is quiet and mostly frozen. On my way back I spy a fat cat hunting near the gate to the park, the only animal that seems to be out and about. He's a handsome fellow who reminds me of his wild cousin the Bobcat.

To all the creatures, large and small, a very Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Oh it's a house cat! Took me a minute. That photo of the kestrel is superb. Man, I wish we at least had some snow to go with our cold in Portland!

    ReplyDelete